Wednesday, June 9, 2010

BB Cream—an overview


BB Creams are a popular product in Asia. If you are not familiar with BB Creams, they are called ‘blemish balms,’ and are closest to tinted moisturizers.

WHAT DOES BB CREAM DO?:
  1. provide light to medium coverage
  2. Whitening/brightening effects
  3. offer high SPF
  4. serve as a moisturizer
  5. treatment/replenishing effects for troubled skin
  6. replaces tinted moisturizer or foundation
The specific properties of the BB cream will depend on your targeted preference. However, because BB Creams mostly originate from Asia, their color selection is very limited. Most brands offer only one or two “universal” shades (which are not so universal). Although most brands have many different lines of BB creams, the shade selection is basically geared at Asian skin tones. The good news is that if you have fair to medium skin tones, you will most likely be able to find one that is right for you. The BB cream tends to blend into your skin, so even if it may not initially seem like a perfect match, it will adjust to match your skin tone a few minutes after application. BB Creams have become so popular that they are widely used by both females and males in Asia.


I have experimented with a handful of BB Creams myself, most of the ones I mention will be available in Asian markets (or cosmetics stores) or online. Some are harder to acquire than others (availability will also be considered when reviewing these creams)

***Banila Co.***
I’ve tried two different BB Creams from Banila Co. This is the only BB Cream I’ve actually gotten a backup of, and thus, my favorite. However, this is not as readily available as other BB Creams (not available in most asian markets, but you can find it on ebay or other websites that ship internationally). (www.banilaco.com – Korean site)

a) Let me finish BB cream SPF37 PA++ (35ml)
  • best for medium skinned people
  • gives a nice sheen finish
  • lighter and blends easier than other BB Creams, yet still offers decent coverage
  • looks very natural because it is not as white as other BB Creams (but that also means it does not advertise those ‘whitening effects’ that other BB creams offer)
  • convenient pump--means you will not be wasting any product
  • suggest for dry to normal skin types
  • Although I am fair, I like this BB Cream because it balances out my pale skin, and gives a nice sheen. However, for those with very oily skin, this may not be the best option. I purchased mine in Korea along with a backup. I am on my second tube now, but this may also be due to the fact that the product itself is smaller than most others. This product is also very affordable, (about 15,000won, or $12 if purchased in Korea). All in all, my personal favorite.
b) Let me bebe Luminous BB Cream SPF 37 PA++
  • I tried this one but actually returned it because I preferred the other BB Cream from banila co. This one was actually more expensive than the previous, but was very typical. It left a white cast, and has a thicker formula. It’s not bad, but it would only work for fairer skin tones. I personally did not enjoy the thickness on my face. It also has SPF 37, and is similar to the Let me finish BB Cream in other respects.

***Somang COENZYME Q10***
I’ve tried two from this line of BB creams. It is by a Korean brand Somang Cosmetics. They can be purchased online or at your local Asian market. Also an affordable option. I own the Coenzyme Q10 B.B Sun Based SPF46/PA++ (pink package), and finished a bottle of the Coenzyme Q10 B.B cream Bleamish Balm (purple package). They are actually very similar, but I feel the pink one is a little heavier, but in turn offers more coverage.
  • Matte finish, works for oiler skin types. For very dry skin, this may look unnatural (I think the oils on your skin help to blend it out)
  • Good option for more mature skins (my mom’s personal favorite)
  • Thicker texture than many BB Creams, which requires a bit more effort to work into your skin
  • The purple one is only SPF 15 and comes in a 50ml tube, while the pink one has a higher protection of 46 with 80ml of product
  • Purple tube would fit younger users, while the pink one targets older users
  • Best for light to medium skin tones, and those who want more coverage


***Missha M Perfect Cover BB Cream SPF 42 PA+++***
This is the hyped BB Cream that most people seem to use. For me, it’s just alright. I use No. 21 (lighter one) as the No. 23 is too dark for me. The packaging is similar style as the Banila Co Let me finish BB Cream, (a tube with a pump) but it has more product at 50ml. I use this because I can easily repurchase. However, it doesn’t give much coverage. It seems unreasonably priced when you purchase it abroad as I am sure it is much cheaper in Korea. This would be okay if it was a product well worth the money, but unfortunately, I think I would rank this much higher if it were more inexpensive. The cap seems to have trouble staying on after you’ve been using it for a while, but it is forgivable. (http://www.misshaus.com/)
  • probably the most accessible BB Cream for the general public. Missha has some overseas stores, and it is also sold at Asian markets as well as online
  • useful for evening out the skin, but not for covering up blemishes (as the name would suggest).
  • blends well, but sometimes looks too sheer
  • good option for mixing with foundation to give a lighter coverage
  • high SPF, yet does not leave white cast in photography
  • Mature skin types should stay away from this, it looks very unnatural on top of wrinkles and sun damage
  • Conclusion: Good if you already have trouble-free skin, but not great for others.

***Hanskin Premium Magic BB Cream***
My worst purchase. I got mine in Japan for way more than I would usually pay for a BB Cream, but I thought since it was actually in a Japanese store, it must be great (since the Japanese make great cosmetics). Expensive at upwards $50 for a bottle. I didn’t even bother to bring it with me when I moved. The bottle is annoying, as it has a screw cap and no pump. Since the BB Cream is very runny, you end up wasting a lot of the product. Looks unnatural because it does not sink into the skin as well as other products, which consequently also means it transfers off your face with the slightest touch. The product comes out dark, but becomes progressively whiter as you blend it—I would say it becomes too white for it to work for most skin tones.



***Dr. Jart Detox Healing BB Cream***
I almost purchased this, but quickly changed my mind after trying a couple of sample sizes. Similar to the hanskin, it is very white. Dr. Jart offers multiple BB Creams, but all are comparatively expensive. It is hard to blend, and the white cast it leaves makes it look unnatural. As it tends to run off your face, it is best if you set it with a powder. This BB Cream is also not as available as other options (thankfully :P). In Korea, it is only sold at high-end stores, and abroad it can be found at some but not all Asian stores and markets.


Ironically, the more expensive ones were deemed unworthy. It might be because these focus more on the “whitening” effects, and thus leave a harsh white cast on your face and are harder to blend. Although BB Creams originated when the Asians discovered the recovery effects used in the treatments of German doctors and decided to incorporate it into cosmetics, I cannot really say using BB Creams has really improved my skin. However, I enjoy the light feeling, and the fact that it is so easy to use. No BB cream has given me adverse effects of breaking out, or causing trouble. So although my skin has not necessarily improved, it has not gotten worse since using BB creams everyday. It would be good for people with sensitive skin (like myself). With so many BB creams in the market, you're destined to find one that suits your personal tastes!

Let me know if you have any unlisted BB Creams you think I should try.

1 comment:

  1. I agree that most of the bb creams cast that white look which I absolutely hate. I don't use much bb creams coz oftentimes I hate the color on me. I look like a ghost. Hehe. By the way thanks for dropping by my site! Appreciate it. You have a nice blog. I like that your post are so informative and helpful. Keep it up. Cheers!:-)

    ReplyDelete

Suggestions? Comments? Inquiries?