Sunday, June 13, 2010

Louis Vuitton wallet--For who?



I never imagined males carrying oversized wallets. Actually, many males I know opt not to even carry a typical wallet. Thus, I was shocked to see a boy searching through this wallet while on a date. While in Japan, I often observed many irregularities, such as boys with coach pencil cases, fruity scarves, or designer umbrellas. On my first date with a particular Japanese boy, he took out this Louis Vuitton Tresor wallet when it came time to pay. I was shocked to discover it was identical to my own--and something I only imagined females carrying. It would be surprising enough to have a female friend whip out an identical item, so it was much more unimaginable to have it happen in this situation. Albeit his was much more beat up than mine, my impression of him changed, as I questioned his masculinity. Am I sexist? Am I a perpetrator of stereotypes? What do others think? Is it acceptable for males to also splurge on designer items? Should all accessories just be labeled as unisex?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Suggestions? Comments? Inquiries?