Thursday, June 10, 2010

Sun Protection--an overview


I’m sure you are already aware of the importance of sunscreen, especially in the summer season. I became obsessed with sunscreen after moving to the sunshine state. I used to not worry so much about it, because I was so fair that I thought I could use a tan. However, constant sun exposure causes uneven tans in areas, redness, dark spots, brings out blemishes, and damages skin. After undergoing these adverse affects, I realized I needed to protect my skin everyday, regardless of the weather. Here is a review on the different ones I’ve tried (in order of worst to best)




PART I Neutrogena: UltraSheer Dry-Touch Sunblock SPF 70 with helioplex

If you check youtube, you can find many reviews on the Neutrogena sunblock. These are easy to find, and affordable. You can even get good bargain deals at Costco. I got a pack of two plus a small travel size at Costco last year. Being my first time purchasing a facial sun screen, I did not know it was possible to really have preferences, or dislike a product—I quickly learned this lesson, and my tubes remain largely unused. Unfortunately, most Neutrogena skincare products do not suit my sensitive skin. I heard that others have also had this problem with the product being too harsh/strong. When I tried to wear this on my face, it stung and hurt immediately, and had to thoroughly wash it off. I then gave it to my mom, not wanting to waste the product. We both have combination skin, but hers is much less sensitive, though more mature. However, the product did not seem to work for her either. She broke out (which she never gets), and the product just sat on her face and did not sink it (even though it is a chemical sunscreen), leaving an unattractive flaky white cast. The product itself is very thick in consistency and tends to dry out the skin over time. It also has the particular sunscreen scent, which I am not a fan of and is somewhat sticky (but it wears off with time).


So after my mom and I both attempted to like the product but failed, I resorted to using it for my body instead of my face. Since the skin on my body is less sensitive than my face, it does not present problems of stinging. It is used on days I know I will be outside for long periods of time. I mix it with moisturizer to thin it out and make it easier to blend. This process also cancels out the drying effects. It has a high SPF so it is good for this purpose, but I would not purchase it specifically to use it on my body (basically, I am only using it because I already own it).



PART II AVEENO: Active Naturals Continuous Protection Sunblock Lotion Face SPF 70


After the failure with Neutrogena, I went back to the drugstore in search of another sun block. I purchased Aveeno, which also provides high SPF coverage. I found Aveeno is less drying than Neutrogena, yet still gives a nice matte finish. I initially liked this product, as it felt much less severe than the Neutrogena. However, after about a week, I started to notice similar drying effects and stinging, though to a lesser degree. Luckily, I only bought one tube of this, and since it is not too bad, I like to use it for my hands and neck area. I also bring this one around with me for touch ups and emergencies.



PART III SHISEIDO: Ultimate Sun Protection Lotion For Face/Body



Still in the need for a facial sun protectant, I abandoned the drugstore and went to a Shiseido counter. I told the lady working there my history of problems with sunblocks, and she literally snickered at me. She assured me that the high quality of the Shiseido sunblocks would not cause such troubles. So, trusting her judgment, I hesitatingly purchased my first high end sunscreen. I was at first unhappy with the high price I had to pay and questioned whether it was worth the mark up. After I tried the sunblock, my opinion totally changed. I loved it the first day, the second, and a year later I still love it.



The Shiseido sunscreen has a very light and thin consistency, and once applied it is totally invisible and feels nonexistent. Yet, it works perfectly as a face primer (under makeup or alone) because it makes your skin feel so smooth and flawless. It does not irritate my skin, even when applied over acne. Because the consistency is so thin, it is a bit tough to control getting out of the bottle at first, but after a bit of adjustment, you can easily avoid wasting product. It is unscented (from what I can tell) and requires the smallest amount to apply all over the face. It gives a nice matte finish, and leaves the skin looking natural, without the white cast. I got mine in SPF 55 which was the highest at the time I purchased it, but a year later when I went to the shiseido store with my mom, they had even higher SPF available. I recommended this sunscreen to my mom (who never spends money on makeup or skincare), and she gave in (because the store was offering promotions with nice free gifts) and bought it in SPF 60. Although she initially regretted purchasing the expensive item, she quickly changed her mind when she used it the next day. It is perfect for her combination and aging skin, and she now does not leave the house without application.



That day at the store, we also discovered the Shiseido Ultimate Sun Protection Cream SPF 55 PA+++, which is basically the same thing for different skin types. It is a thicker consistency (like the name suggests, it is more creamy), yet works just as well. I purchased one in SPF 55 because I knew I would love it. Although it does require a tiny bit more effort to blend out, I still enjoy it as well.



The downside to Shiseido products is the high price, but I think it is definitely worth it. It is worth investing in a product, where the purpose is not to cover up your skin, but maintain healthy skin, body, and lifestyle. Secondly, although the bottle suggests it could be used for both face and body, I personally reserve it strictly for my face/neck because of the higher price (I would run out very quick if I were to apply it all over my body).



All three brands claim to be waterproof, and the Shiseido Lotion has the most product at 100ml. Both the Neutrogena and Aveeno have 88ml, and are oil free, while the Shiseido Cream contains 50ml. I definitely recommend the Shiseido Ultimate Sun Protection Lotion!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Suggestions? Comments? Inquiries?