Monday, June 7, 2010

Lesson 1. Bookshelves.. Minus the books

I have many bookcases/bookshelves in my home. All white. Why white? Because you can never go wrong with white. Any brand will have the color white and the variations are limited (unlike wooden tones, or vivid colors), and although they can be a hassle to keep white, the availability means that they are practically disposable. These can be purchased basically anywhere. Affordable variants can be found at Ikea, Target, Walmart, etc. I purchased mine pre-assembled/used (but visibly good condition) for $10/piece. I also got a new one today for $5 at Walmart (The one pictured under #3 makeup vanity below).

I like to use my bookshelves for just about everything aside from their intended purpose—storing books. Of course, that’s a great option too (duh), but here are some others:

1. Shoe rack
This is my favorite. I’m a girl, and yes I own plenty of shoes. Now, I agree, getting a shoe rack at target isn’t very expensive. But, those things are flimsy, have limited space, and most importantly, never fit the shoes you’re trying to store.


Perfect. You can adjust the shelves to fit taller boots, and you can lean the shape-less shoes on the sides of the shelf for support. Bookshelves come in all shapes and sizes, so for those with more shoes, you can opt for taller shelves. (tip: I like to line mine with paper/cardboard so they don’t get dirty from the shoes)

2. Clothing shelf


Please excuse the unfolded mess. Although some may find this too revealing, I keep this shelf inside of a walk-in closet. Any type of closet with doors or walk-in style would keep this suitable for storing your clothes. Or, if you are a neat person it wouldn’t be too bad to replace your regular drawers in your room with these. It’s a cheaper option, and eliminates the process of having to search for your desired fashion piece.



3. Makeup vanity

Personally, I think it’s a bit much to have a million things out in the open. So in this case, I put bins inside of the shelves to keep it more organized. As for a seating area, I use a small table with a mirror next to the shelf. I find this more affordable than a vanity, and it fits more stuff.




4. Basic storage
If you lack cabinet space in your kitchen, or room in your office, bookshelves are a good way to store your extra supplies. You can stack your boxes of cereal, bottles of spices, etc, and still keep it looking organized. Other ideas: store purses, hats/other accessories, weights, tools, etc.


The Benefits:
-Easy to assemble (for a girl who doesn't own nails or a wrench)
-Affordable (cheaper than actually getting racks/vanities)
-Come in any shape/size/color
-Guilt-free to dispose of (recycle please)
-Fit into closets
-Adjustable to your liking
-Fashionable (jazzes up a boring space)

And if you experience slight paranoia from the translucent-ness of your belongings, I suggest these ‘kassett’ boxes from ikea.

They are cheap (upwards $3), and come in various shapes and sizes (and colors!)

-Do you have any useful storage tips?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Suggestions? Comments? Inquiries?